Pages

Friday, October 2, 2015

260 Days of Art Making

WorkI have completed in Week 1 of the 260 Days of Art Making
I started Sep 25


In the last few months (maybe years actually),  I have come across a few blogs that have been very inspiring for me, they are making me want to get into trouble and by that I mean more action! I am feeling like committing to some structure and hard work after the last 10 months of family health challenges, daughter graduating and moving to a different house (I am happy to report that most of the boxes are already unpacked, just a few here and there left to do,  it is starting to look and feel more like home and my son is doing great :)

One of the blogs I am talking about is Crystal Moody's blog. She did last year "365 Days of Creative Habits" and is now on a "360 Days of Creative Habits". After last year's experience she decided to give herself  5 grace days! I love reading her insights, she is awesome at sharing with us lots of her process thinking and the discoveries she makes along the way, not technical painting information but more about the experiences she is going through.
The Daily Painting Movement,  Carol Marine and so many others that embraced this practice have also influenced the direction I am taking.

What I am interested in most of all  is the growth I know occurs when you do projects and practices like these. I know that with continued action I will grow as an artist which is ultimately my goal, to be a better painter each day.   I love learning and discovering and want to dig deeper into my art. So this is the why.

I was trying to figure out how to go about it all. Do I set some rules for myself? How many days a week do I want to put in? Do I count days or works? Only paintings count? Do drawings and sketches also count?
This is what I DO know:  I am interested in exploring some new media, drawing more, doing more painting from life, doing more plein air painting, doing small paintings as well as larger paintings to create new bodies of work. I don't want to get boxed into guidelines set by others (only paintings, or only drawings for example), I know I'll feel them constricting and they would take the fun away.

So...... what I have decided is .... drum roll.....  I am committing publicly (this is a big one for me, when I commit publicly, then I have to do it, right?) to doing in one year 260 days of creating. It can be anything from a 5 minute line drawing to a large acrylic piece done over several days. That is 5 days a week.   I don't need to spend 8 hours in the studio everyday if I don't have that time (or inspiration) but I have to at least do a 5 min drawing in those days that life just takes over. It will be fun to see at the end of it all where I am and how much work I have produced. I may not post absolutely everything I paint, draw, sketch because sometimes they may just not work out but I'll post more regularly that I have lately :)


So, what do you think? Anyone interested in playing along with me setting your own rules?? It would be lovely to have company along the way!!!


*****


En estos últimos meses (o años mejor dicho), he recibido mucha inspiración de ciertos blogs que leo a diario y me han dado ganas de meterme en problemas; con esto quiero decir ponerme en acción! Siento que necesito comprometerme a tener cierta estructura y trabajo duro después de los últimos meses de problemas de salud con la familia, hija que se graduó y se mudó a otra ciudad para estudiar y una mudanza para nosotros! (Estoy contenta con poder contarles que ya casi no quedan cajas sin desarmar, ya va tomando mas pinta de hogar y mis dos hijos están muy bien!)

Uno de los blogs a los que me refiero es el de Crystal Moody. Ella  hizo el año pasado"365 Días Hábitos Creativos". y este año en "360 Días de Hábitos Creativos". Después de la experiencia del año pasado ella decidió darse 5 días de gracia! Me encanta leer sus reflexiones diarias, ella es muy buena en compartir sus procesos, ideas y descubrimientos que está haciendo en el camino, no información técnica sobre cómo pintar si no mas con respecto a las experiencias que tiene en este proyecto.

El Grupo de "Una Pintura Diaria", Carol Marine y muchos otros artistas que admiro han incorporado esta práctica y  han sido una gran influencia en la dirección que quiero ir.
Lo que más me interesa es el crecimiento que ocurre cuando uno hace proyectos y prácticas de este tipo. Sé que con acción continua voy a crecer como artista que es mi meta,  ser una artista mejor cada día. Me encanta aprender y descubrir!
He estado tratando de decidir cómo hacerlo. Me pongo reglas? Cuantos días por semana quiero comprometer? Cuento días o pinturas? Sólo pinturas o dibujos y bosquejos también?
Esto es lo que sé: Estoy interesada en explorar medios nuevos, quiero dibujar mas, pintar de cosas reales (no de fotos) y en plein-air, quiero hacer pinturas pequeñas pero también quiero hacer piezas mas grandes y desarrollar series. No quiero encajonarme en reglas establecidas por otros (sólo pinturas o sólo dibujos por ejemplo), se que me van a sofocar y sacarían el placer de este proyecto.
Asi que lo que he decidido es que ..... tatatatan.....  me comprometo públicamente (y esto es importante para mi, si lo hago público, lo tengo que hacer a la fuerza no?) a hacer  en un año 260 días de creación. Puede ser un dibujo simple o una pintura grande terminada en varios días. Esto es 5 días a la semana, no hace falta que este en mi taller 8 horas por día si no tengo tiempo (o inspiración) pero tengo que por lo menos hacer un bosquejo de 5 minutos. Va a ser muy gratificante ver al final del año lo que he logrado. Tal vez no ponga todo en el blog pero si voy a poner cosas mas a menudo de lo que he estado publicando ultimamente. 

Que les parece?? Alguien me quiere acompañar y hacer algo, poniendo sus propias reglas?? Sería muy bueno tener compañía!! 



2 comments:

  1. awesome! so happy that you set your rules and are starting! Just remember that you made the rules, you get to change them too. Excited to see where it takes you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystal for the reminder that I can still change them if things are not working, I tend to forget that! I am very excited to experience growth this next year, Thanks again for being an inspiration.... We never know how we are touching other people's lives with what we do, right?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...