Pages

Monday, May 1, 2017

Tropical Memories

"Tropical Memories" - 9x12 - Oil on Birch Panel
"Memorias tropicales - 23x30cm - Oleo
$215
(Unframed)

Available

After getting back home to the studio I was interested in doing a few paintings with those gorgeous colours I fell in love with in Mexico and Hawaii but following a bit of different approach from the one I normally use, just to play and see if I liked it better. One of the traditional approaches to oils is to cover the whole canvas or panel very thinly with one colour which becomes the base layer,  and in many cases it peeks through  the whole painting here and there when it is not 100% covered. This is what I love that about this approach, it gives the painting unity and a general feel.  This is how I learned when I first started with oils and did it that way for quite a while. Later on I took a workshop where I learned a different approach: You apply an underpainting of many different transparent colours, those colours depend on what you are painting and this is followed by opaque colours on top. Again, lots of the underpaiting still shows in the final product. I liked this way because I was able to achieve brighter cleaner colours as many times the white from the canvas/panel is "shines" through the bottom transparent colours. The previous landscapes and seascapes I have been showing you these past weeks have been done using this last method and "Tropical memories" today was done using the traditional way...... Which one do you prefer???
In the end, in this case, this exercise didn't help me make up my mind..... I liked both ways..... :)

*****

 Después de volver y empezar a trabajar en el taller, estaba muy interesada en hacer unos cuantos cuadros usando esos colores hermosísimos de los que me enamoré cuando estaba en México y en Hawai pero quería hacer un par de experimentos al aplicar los óleos, simplemente para jugar y ver si me gustaba más . Una de las formas tradicionales de usar los óleos es primero cubrir toda la superficie del lienzo o panel con una capa muy fina de un color que se transforma en la base,  en muchos casos este color aparece en distintos lugares del cuadro cuando no se cubre  el 100%. Esto es lo que más me gusta de este método, ya que le da  al cuadro mucha uniformidad. Éste fue la forma en que yo aprendí a usar los óleos y lo hice así durante bastante tiempo. Más adelante tomé un curso en el qie aprendí una  forma diferente: se aplica una base con muchos colores diferentes transparentes, la eleccioón de colores depende de lo que se está pintando y esa capa se sigue con colores opacos encima. Como en el caso anterior, muchas partes de la base se pueden ver en el cuadro si no se cubren el 100% . La razón por la que me gusta este método es porque puedo lograr  colores más limpios y brillantes.  Todos los paisajes que le estado mostrando últimamente han sido pintados utilizando este último método y el de hoy es utilizando el método tradicional … Cuál prefieren? Al final, en este caso, este ejercicio no me ayudó a decidirme cuál me gusta más… Me gusta de las dos formas… :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...