Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Clouds: 6 of 30

Clouds - 9x12 - Oil on Birch Panel
Nubes - 23x30cm - Oleo
Marcela Strasdas

I started this painting at the Moss St. Paint-In back in May and hadn't been able to get back to it.  I had completely blocked it in but hadn't gone any further. I usually paint Alla Prima which means wet into wet oil paint, done all in one sitting or as much of it as possible in the same session. As I had never stopped and let it dry at this block-in stage, I was experimenting in how to proceed. I ended up oiling the whole surface lightly and then just continuing as if I had never stopped with my opaque colours as I usually do. So it worked out differently in that the block in colours didn't mix as much with the second layer while wet but there is still lots of that underpainting showing through which I like.  I love love some of the colours that happened there, the golds and mauves especially. I'll probably try this one again following the same vertical format of the previous ones. It was a good exercise, I'll probably go back into this one as well to change some of the design I am not happy with....but for today..... it's done. :)

*****



Comencé este cuadro en la Pintada de Moss Street este Mayo pasado y no había podido terminarlo. Había bloqueado los colores iniciales completamente pero no había podido hacer más que eso. Normalmente pinto "Alla Prima", que quiere  aplicar el oleo sin que se seque entre capas, se hace todo en una en un sola sesión. De esta manera los colores se mezclan mientras el óleo está todavía húmedo. Como nunca  había parado en esta etapa del bloque inicial, tuve que experimentar con cómo proseguir. Terminé aplicando una capa muy fina de aceite de nuez (que es lo que yo uso para afinar el óleo) y aplicando la capa siguiente de colores opacos como hago simple. El resultado fue que los colores de las dos capas no se mezclaron tanto pero si se alcanza a ver todavía los colores de la primera capa.  Me encantaron los colores amarillos, dorados y lilas que se formaron en esta pieza. Probablemente pruebe este en otro formato como he echo estos días pasados. Fue un buen ejercicio, probablemente vuelva a este cuadro mas a delante y corrija ciertos elementos del diseño del cuadro  que no me satisface del todo... pero por hoy, está lista. :)

#378



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...